Culture: Social Issues
1609 articles in category
Page 2 of 54, Go to page: [Previous] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 [Next]
- Gujarat Experiment
Gujarat continues to experiment; it experimented in dairy sector, labour force and freebies. Now it has embarked on an experiment in voting.
- The Art Of Dividing Castes
Gotras divide the castes. How bad is that?
- Is Burqa Banning Correct?
When a sovereign and prospering government like France does the unexpected, which many might term as a nasty piece of...
- Intercourse with the Natives
The biggest part, I believe, of any healing between cultures that have been at odds with each other is a dialogue.
- Emancipation of Women: Is it Just a Long-cherished Dream?
The mantra is that come out of the fire well in which you are being burnt for the only reason that you were born as
- The Intrusive Internet
People will take extra care if you force them to, with an artificial construct like an anonymous handle or a vehement policy of no photographs.
- To Be A Girl
Mama, when are you getting my ears pierced
- An Un-Fair Psyche
The dusky and ‘how can she be happy’ dame gets back home after a long gruelling day at the office. She wipes her makeup
- Gay Trawl
It would be nice to see more gay oriented online magazines such as Gaysi take root in the vistas of the Desi Internet.
- Demolishing Homes in Delhi
The State is systematically disenfranchising the weakest sections of the society
- Tharoor, Sania, IPL, and Other National Distractions
People in public office should focus their attention on matters of public concern rather than being a constant distraction, twittering their foibles or phoning them
- Migrant Workers in Singapore
There is no safety net for the likes of Labu, because the government is not obligated to protect their welfare.
- Nobody Cares About The Tribals or Our Jawans
Let us move to Reconstruction and circumvent the Civil War.
- Understanding Homophobia
To tackle something, it's necessary to understand its origins, isn't it?
- Walking Through a Wheat Field
I hadn't seen wheat farming up close, until I walked into a golden-yellow wheat field in Rajasthan last week.
- Khap Panchayat Leader and Others Convicted of Honour Killing
What role does the police and the administration have to play in all this?
- Mamta Banerjee Facing Dissent Within Her Own Party
One of her more popular MP's, Kabir Suman, is turning out to be more maverick than Mamta
- Judgement: Death Penalty for Honour Killing
Sushma Tiwari demanded Supreme Court to uphold death penalty for her brother.
- Should Parents be Made to bear Children’s Marriage Expenses?
Culture of Marriage spending violates freedom and liberty of people.
- Fiction: I Am Jill's Spare Tyre
The long journey from nursery to rhymes was fraught with heartless atrocities inflicted on those that built the heart in the first place.
- Photography Times: Married
Here’s to the Bharathiya Naari – an epitome of Indian tradition.
- Systems Thinking and Counter-intuitive Nature of Social Systems
Is there a limitation in the way humans perceive social problems?
- The Culture of Tips and Service Charges
Tips and service charges can add up to a sizable portion of the overall cost, especially when you are not prepared
- The Filth That We Are Comfortable With
Bangalore drowns in filth, no one cares and corporate responsibility has never been more meaningless.
- Book Review: In an Antique Land
A peek into Rural Egypt and a Coastal town in India in the 12th Century.
- The Children of India: A Volunteer Travel Experience
I became involved with a nonprofit based in Austin called The Miracle Foundation, which manages orphanages in India.
- Homosexuality Versus Violation of Privacy
When I read about this case, I hoped that the story would be about how AMU stood by Dr.Siras and how police immediately were looking
- What an Idea?
Is it not a farce to demand ID proof while activating a mobile connection?
- Movie Review: My Name is Khan
The movie is very unkaranjoharly, and the most striking aspect is the simplicity of the story and its fluid narrative.
- Shooting At University Of Alabama and The State of Affairs In Academic Research
Frustrations are forever mounting in the academic research setting with no real outlet.
- My Name Is Khan - Media Holds India Hostage
Over a period of an entire week, SRK emerged as new age India's freedom fighter against Sena and its goons.
- Lawyers Refusing to be Lawyers
The right to legal representation is one of the hallmarks of a civilised society. It is a shame that we do not do it well
- Young Home Maker's Pension and Retirement Industry
The issue of Pension for Home Makers throws some shocking facts in India's "Old Male" dominated society.
- Movie Review: Tingya - A Little Boy and his Bullock
The story is of a little boy, Tingya, who loves his bullock.
- Liberate Our Students From Sexual Repression
Students from Hindi and Marathi medium schools are basically unexposed to the ideas of Individuality, free thought, and freedom from repressed sexuality.
- Will Behavioral Change be an Effective Remedy?
At times a simple behavioral change could achieve what morality could not.
- What Ails Healthcare Delivery In India? Part 1- The Infrastructure
The answer lies perhaps in freeing healthcare from corrupt political influence
- Movie Review: Paa - The Self-Absorbedness Of Bachchanalia
If the story wasn't supposed to be about the disease itself, then why bring it in?
- Haagen-Dazs, Mistaken Cause
Mad that foreigners offended Indian dignity at the new Haagen-Dazs franchise? Not so fast, folks. How about the facts?
- Indian Government Caves In, Agrees to Separate Telangana State
The Telangana demand is the latest in the progressive splintering of the Indian polity.
- Security Agencies & Personal Freedom
If security agencies are not sensitized against allegations of personal freedom, we become vulnerable.
- Saving The 'Feriwala'
Why a corporate takeover of the Indian 'bazaar' is not such a good idea.
- Praising the British - A Psychological Malady
Propagating ignorance in the name of spreading knowledge is easier and effective
- The (Sur)real World of Indian Television
Ranging from bizarre to downright pathetic, the ideology behind most of whats on the idiot box nowadays escapes me.
- The Value of Surrender
It is only when the Mind chooses to surrender that peace will return on Earth.
- Soft Infrastructure Development: Role of Private Sector
Soft infrastructure systems precede hard infrastructure and are engines of social transformation.
- Joy, Killjoy of Thesis, Antithesis: Waterless Urinals & Water Crisis
I think everything in this world happens first as a farce, then as a tragedy.
- Bollywood: Miles Away From Bharat
Several Bollywood movies have been made on Pakistan, Terrorism, even Gay and Lesbian relationships but none has been made on Naxalism or Farmer Suicides.