Culture: Social Issues
1609 articles in category
Page 1 of 54, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 [Next]
- Those who Live in Glass Houses
Hypocrisy comes so naturally to most Indians that they don’t even realize it on many occasions.
- Time Passing Me By
Couple of days ago we found our old honeymoon snaps. Next year, come April, it will be ten years to...
- Liberal Indians, Stand Up
It’s time to stand up for our convictions, for our liberal values.
- Things I Hate About India: Part I
If you are still reading this article, then you are lucky enough to be at a place where there are less power cuts.
- Imperfection is Bliss
Do you know he masturbates? My father alleged, referring to my son.
- Sense And Sensibility _ Are We Losing It?
It is high time we realize that we are not differentiated by our religion, language, political boundary, faith but are united by the single thread
- The Value Of Life In India
Have we become so unsympathetic towards human lives?
- Movie Review: Peepli [Live] - Our Apathy Exposed
We, the privileged ones being entertained by an exceptionally talented cast of theatre actors on screen are to blame, too.
- The Great Indian Drive
Driving in India is like the theory of Karma – do your best and leave the rest to your insurance company.
- Movie Review: Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai
The film conforms to the genre, being simultaneously a 70s-style crime thriller and a chronicle of an inflating hypercity.
- Book Review: The Power of Half
Does this book bring out the farce that aid is? No. Because they are still very innocent and idealistic in their "giving"
- Worthy Matters
Are housewives really "economically non-productive workers", just like beggars and prostitutes?
- On the Ban on Shivaji: Hindu king in Islamic India
Profanity & the Intellectual Fools! Nothing but the truth, the whole truth!
- The Tears Of Our Children
A society that does not care for its children is a society without a future
- A-vivek of N-Arundhati
When Narundhati treks through the jungles as a guest of Maoists, her biases ignore the blisters on her city feet.
- Poetry: Beaten But Not Bruised, For Black Stars in 2010
I am here to say what score-lines, statistics will not show, not say
- Indian Railways: The World's Largest Loo Network
Why can't we be little sophisticated, if not sober is all what I think whenever I travel by Indian Railways....
- Can We Trust The Medical Specialists?
We are living in paranoid times. Each new year ushers in a brand new disease and constantly mutating ailments.
- Which Bandh Was it - Bharat, India Or Hindustan?
Keeping aside the name of the Bandh or the minor suffering I had to go through, I do have my own set of perceptions for
- Movie Review: Amen
AMEN touched on internet hookups, rape, incest, child abuse, trust issues and love, in addition to homosexuality.
- Falling in Love
I wanted her to see how one could fall in love.
- Have a Sweet After-life, Viveka!
A very Gay Goodbye to a "courageous" ex-model
More than 77% of our country's population lives on less than 20 Rs per day. This is not any...
- The Bhopal Gas Tragedy - All The Political Discussions
Or will it all die down when some other news takes it place ?
- International Violence against Women Act Faces Stiff Opposition From Unexpected Quarter
Funding of 1 Billion dollars under I-VAWA will lead to gross Civil Liberties Violations.
- Maturity Is An Age Thing
You can put a kid on the fast track but you can't make him an adult before his time.
- The World Of Straight & Gay-Friendly
Should homosexuality be a deal-breaker in a straight relationship?
- What To Do When A Friend 'Comes Out'
Each one is a sweet memory, a verbal token that a friend trusted me and shared something deeply personal.
- Gujarat Experiment
Gujarat continues to experiment; it experimented in dairy sector, labour force and freebies. Now it has embarked on an experiment in voting.
- The Art Of Dividing Castes
Gotras divide the castes. How bad is that?
- Is Burqa Banning Correct?
When a sovereign and prospering government like France does the unexpected, which many might term as a nasty piece of...
- Intercourse with the Natives
The biggest part, I believe, of any healing between cultures that have been at odds with each other is a dialogue.
- Emancipation of Women: Is it Just a Long-cherished Dream?
The mantra is that come out of the fire well in which you are being burnt for the only reason that you were born as
- The Intrusive Internet
People will take extra care if you force them to, with an artificial construct like an anonymous handle or a vehement policy of no photographs.
- To Be A Girl
Mama, when are you getting my ears pierced
- An Un-Fair Psyche
The dusky and ‘how can she be happy’ dame gets back home after a long gruelling day at the office. She wipes her makeup
- Gay Trawl
It would be nice to see more gay oriented online magazines such as Gaysi take root in the vistas of the Desi Internet.
- Demolishing Homes in Delhi
The State is systematically disenfranchising the weakest sections of the society
- Tharoor, Sania, IPL, and Other National Distractions
People in public office should focus their attention on matters of public concern rather than being a constant distraction, twittering their foibles or phoning them
- Migrant Workers in Singapore
There is no safety net for the likes of Labu, because the government is not obligated to protect their welfare.
- Nobody Cares About The Tribals or Our Jawans
Let us move to Reconstruction and circumvent the Civil War.
- Understanding Homophobia
To tackle something, it's necessary to understand its origins, isn't it?
- Walking Through a Wheat Field
I hadn't seen wheat farming up close, until I walked into a golden-yellow wheat field in Rajasthan last week.
- Khap Panchayat Leader and Others Convicted of Honour Killing
What role does the police and the administration have to play in all this?
- Mamta Banerjee Facing Dissent Within Her Own Party
One of her more popular MP's, Kabir Suman, is turning out to be more maverick than Mamta
- Judgement: Death Penalty for Honour Killing
Sushma Tiwari demanded Supreme Court to uphold death penalty for her brother.
- Should Parents be Made to bear Children’s Marriage Expenses?
Culture of Marriage spending violates freedom and liberty of people.
- Fiction: I Am Jill's Spare Tyre
The long journey from nursery to rhymes was fraught with heartless atrocities inflicted on those that built the heart in the first place.
- Photography Times: Married
Here’s to the Bharathiya Naari – an epitome of Indian tradition.
- Systems Thinking and Counter-intuitive Nature of Social Systems
Is there a limitation in the way humans perceive social problems?
- The Culture of Tips and Service Charges
Tips and service charges can add up to a sizable portion of the overall cost, especially when you are not prepared
- The Filth That We Are Comfortable With
Bangalore drowns in filth, no one cares and corporate responsibility has never been more meaningless.