601 articles in category
Page 2 of 21, Go to page: [Previous] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 [Next]
- Ruchika Girhotra: Where's The Justice?
After 19 years, justice still hasn't been meted out to Ruchika Girhotra, who committed suicide after being molested and continually harassed by Rathore.
- Punishment to Fit the Crime
It would be great if the civil angle were looked into in parallel with the criminal one
- Ruchika - Indian Law Allows Child Molester to be Let Off
The law prosecuted Rathore for molesting a young girl, but doesn't prosecute him for raping the trust the common man had on the Indian civil
- Indian Police - Protectors or Perpetrators?
Life in India. Who is accountable?
- New Indian Visa Regulations Impact Tourists
This kind of haphazard and ham-handed approach to implementing new regulations does not help anyone.
- Contempt of Court and the Pakistan Army
In a country where every one including the top brass of the army and the opposition parties are tainted, a clean sweep will produce a
- Madhu Koda Finally Arrested
How can you otherwise justify that a person accused of such large crimes can remain free without the police and investigating agencies arresting him?
- Liberhan Committee Report on Ayodhya Demolition Leaks
The contents of the report appear to be getting glossed over and the alleged leak being given greater air time.
- India's 3G Saga - A Bad Bollywood Movie!
Ma Sonia, please get us out of this mess!!!!
- Surviving at the Margins: The Politics of Eviction and Resettlement in Delhi
What was to follow was a tragedy of immense proportions in post independent India that was ignored in the mainstream media.
- Why Aamir Khan Should Not Lobby for Kiran Bedi
The underlying tenet of democracy is transparency, not popularity contests in the name of inclusiveness and participation.
- Husband Killed by in-laws in Honor Killing
Wife manages to get free, and reveals the truth (otherwise, no story)
- Marital Breakdowns and Children - Fugitive NRI Woman & Child Detained
A woman, who is accused of parental kidnapping of her US Citizen child to India is detained by CBI as per directive of Supreme Court
- Should Prostitution Be Legalised?
All problems solved, legalise prostitution and we have a perfectly just and fair society. Is it so?
- Insufficient Courts in India
In India, the pendency of cases with the judicial system is a joke.
- Lest we Forget - Truth and Reconciliation in Kandhamal
Our Lord teaches us not to hate. We do not hate our enemies, but Fear is real, especially in Orissa’s Kandhamal district.
- Chief Justice of India Summons CJ of Karnataka
Serious charges of land grabbing and other "irregularities" levelled against P.D. Dinakaran, Chief Justice of Karnataka, Bangalore.
- Justice Served 25 Years Later in the 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case
Judgment 25 years after the crime
- Senator Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (1932 - 2009)
"The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die."
- Unfair Law Subjugates Shia Women in Afghanistan
How could a country have such a law if the Government of the country was dependent on foreign aid and foreign support?
- Mumbai Queer Azadi Pride 2009 - The Right to be Happy
"If it is Love, God wouldn't mind; there is enough Hate in this world"
- Taslima Nasreen Returns to India, Albeit Temporarily
Taslima Nasreen does not find it safe in India, nor does the Government really want her to be here in India.
- Why India Should Not Hang Ajmal Kasab
We will not allow Kasab to turn into a martyr! We will allow him time and the opportunity to change his ideology and reform, as
- Celebrity of the Year - Ajmal Amir Kasab
All thanks to our glorious Indian Judicial System and a babbling Media, Kasab has become nothing short of a famous figure.
- Allegations Against Omar Abdullah - Can Democracy Survive in Kashmir?
Democracy, that fragile curtain which separates us from millenia of barbarism, is most often beset by internal enemies.
- Continental Airlines Gets Notice for Frisking Abdul Kalam
This is one of the many flaws which makes way for other debauched malpractices like Corruption to seep into the system.
- Delhi Police Cleared in Batla House Terrorist Encounter
Politicians of different hues jumped on the case, given that it involved police vs. minority issues.
- Mis-Governance in India And The Death of Faith
One after the other news of people dying, human rights being violated, take a moment and mourn for all such deaths.
- Homosexuality is Not a Crime Anymore
India took 150 years to reverse a law that criminalized an activity which is now considered natural though different from the majority point of view.
- Judgement on IPC Section 377: Counterpoints
Liberals and gay organisations are using the wrong method to engage in a conversation with the rest of society.
- The Government Should Scrap the NREGS
The Government jettisoned the communists late last year, they should do the same to the NREGS this year.
- Delhi High Court Makes Consensual Gay Sex Legal
A huge first step, but a long way to go.
- Delhi - Love Under The Rainbow
Today I am proud of being from Delhi - the capital of India where to love under the rainbow is perfectly legal.
- Delhi High Court Legalizes Homosexuality In India
In a historical ruling today, Delhi High Court decriminalized homosexuailty in India
- Delhi High Court Decriminalizes Homosexuality
The Delhi High Court gave succour to everyone today by agreeing that Section 377 was unfairly stated
- Spain's Audiencia Nacional To Be Reined In By Parliament
Not surprisingly, the Audiencia Nacional has been the darling of human rights activists worldwide.
- Indian Government Bans Maoists as Terrorist Organization
The Naxal/Maoist menace has plagued a large swathe of central India for a long while.
- Fathers Rally in Bangalore for Access to Children
On the eve of International Father's Day, Dads separated from their children protest in Bangalore on Saturday.
- Positive Steps by SEBI - Anchor Investors, No Load Funds, & Lower Fees
SEBI Chairman C B Bhave continues his trend of investor-friendly actions by announcements today.
- Dr. George Tiller Shot Dead and the Abortion Debate Continues
Dr. Tiller’s murder will make no difference to the abortion debate
- Proposition 8: Disposition Hate
It is unfair that two adults require the approval of an outside world to be in a committed relationship because their sexuality does not appeal
- A Town called Ghosi
Ghosi remains a ghost town as night descends
- State Advisory Panel Doubts NSA Case Against Varun Gandhi
The case of Varun Gandhi and his detention by the Mayawati Government is reaching a critical point.
- Fighting Fundamentalism With Fundamentalism
Bigotry of one kind cannot counter bigotry of another. Hatred cannot be fought with hatred.
- Gurkhas Seek Justice in UK, They Get The Law Instead
The Gurkhas are brave and loyal, but should that give them the right to settle down in the UK?
- Supreme Court Sets Guidelines for Violent Agitations
This was also a subtle reminder to the authorities that it is their duty to enforce law and order
- Bollywood: Top 10 Tax Payers Of 2008-09
Bollywood has certainly come a long way since the days when there used to be mega raids on superstars' houses.
- Afghan Law That Allowed Marital Rape to be Reviewed
A hard struggle for women's rights
- Gaddar, a Legend
Gaddar the revolutionary balladeer instead carried on with the movement that we all once dreamed of.
- Varun Gandhi Released on Parole, Under Judicial Scrutiny
His campaign will have a strained air and be under close scrutiny.
- A Follow-Up Letter to the Dalai Lama
The Tibetan community should be able to democratically decide if and how the struggle for Tibetan rights should continue.
- Jagdish Tytler Given Clean Chit By CBI - Shameful!
This year is the 25th anniversary of the anti-Sikh pogrom and not a single killer has been brought to book so far.
- Military-Industrial- And Congressional Complex
A suspicious world distrustful of others is the right environment to sell big ticket armaments to both sides.
- Poem: Section 144
Nothing remained in view Of those draconian measures The apparatus of the state And the will of the few, Glued onto the old disease Of greed and power
- To Censor Or Not: Bloggers’ Duties and Liabilities
DesiCritics should, in my opinion, pre-approve comments rather than than edit comments after they are made.
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women
- Bloggers and Blogging Rights
Does blogging need regulation?
- Big-ticket Cases - CBI Under Government Influence?
This is not something that Governments shirk from doing.