601 articles in category
Page 1 of 21, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 [Next]
- Is the Marathi manoos At Stake?
Is being called ‘Bhartiya’ more derogatory than taking pride in being called a Marathi manoos, UP ke Bhaiya aur Tamil Nadu ka
- Justifying the UIDAI - A Case of PR Over Substance?
UID comes in benevolent packaging;however claims of good intentions can be sustained only with transparency of objectives and participatory processes
- Alternative Solutions to the Babri Masjid Dispute
This was the time for judges to completely astonish us with their intellect and creativity, and they failed me.
- Ayodhya Verdict - A Wasted Opportunity
Let's face it - today's verdict doesn't close this chapter. It doesn't leave us in any better position than we were yesterday.
- Allahabad High Court Delivers Split Verdict on Ayodhya
Public reaction seemed mostly disinterested, despite the ardent efforts of the media to play up the event as if it were the second Partition.
- Looking Afresh at Kashmir - Intrinsic, Prudential or Systemic?
Every academic argument made so far has already been made before, and tried in some way, shape or form.
- The Potential For Misuse of Laws in India
Some Men’s Rights activists feel misuse of laws by women to harass husbands actually helps the men’s movement.
- Issues With The UID Project (Aadhaar)
Undemocratic process for project initiation and development; civil liberties; benefits and efficiency; technology; and Costs and Finance
- Broken Tigers
We are not defined by the things we can replace, but how we care for the things we cannot
- The Tears Of Our Children
A society that does not care for its children is a society without a future
- Is India Still Socialist?
This implies that a certain vision that animated the use of the word socialism is bankrupt merely because of 20 years of reforms.
- PILfering Justice
While the National Litigation Policy comes down hard on govt servants and lawyers, it views Public Interest Litigations as a nuisance
- The Bhopal Gas Tragedy - All The Political Discussions
Or will it all die down when some other news takes it place ?
- Right to Information, State Accountability, and Wikileaks
There is natural tension between the State and the public on the question of transparency. Authoritarian states by definition limit access to information.
- Oh Bhopal!
Bhopal lost something on that night,and nothing but time will heal those wounds.
- Propelling Political Change
The basic tenet of a judicious society is the social and economic assimilation of all people.
- Abuse by Police and Deaths in Judicial Custody.
An Award winning American Journalist was brutally tortured by Indian Police.
- Idli, Sambhar and Chicken 498a
Order VAWA, made of Idli RAWA and get a complimentary Green Curd.
- Will the Higher Education Bill Help The Education Sector?
Given these constraints, a lot of critics have rightly pointed out that only the B and C grade universities from the western world will be
- Hopeless Congress & Hapless Amitabh
I can understand the hopelessness of the Congress leaders, having failed in 3 consecutive elections to wrest power from Narendra Modi in Gujarat.
- Khap Panchayat Leader and Others Convicted of Honour Killing
What role does the police and the administration have to play in all this?
- Judgement: Death Penalty for Honour Killing
Sushma Tiwari demanded Supreme Court to uphold death penalty for her brother.
- Revolutionary Rehabilitation: Marry Your Rapist
Chief Justice of India, K G Balakrishna’s recent remark showed that the element of ridiculousness is alive and well even outside a lame movie script.
- A Gathering Storm - How the UID Project Will Tranform India Into a Police State
Various initiatives within the government are converging to transform India into a classic police state.
- Systems Thinking and Counter-intuitive Nature of Social Systems
Is there a limitation in the way humans perceive social problems?
- Women's Reservations - The Ground Reality
In parliament, it’s about India; not a few villages.
- Politics of Identity - A Discussion on the UID Project
The UID project is one of the most ambitious programs in India, without precedence or parallel anywhere in the world.
- Lawyers Refusing to be Lawyers
The right to legal representation is one of the hallmarks of a civilised society. It is a shame that we do not do it well
- Women’s Reservation Bill: Denying Citizens Rights to Contest in Elections
Men will lose their choice to contest in elections and democracy will be crippled, if the constitution is amended.
- Freedom of Speech or Responsibility to Do No Harm?
What is more important - our right to freedom of speech or our responsibility to cause no harm
- Ruchika Girhotra: Where's The Justice?
After 19 years, justice still hasn't been meted out to Ruchika Girhotra, who committed suicide after being molested and continually harassed by Rathore.
- Punishment to Fit the Crime
It would be great if the civil angle were looked into in parallel with the criminal one
- Ruchika - Indian Law Allows Child Molester to be Let Off
The law prosecuted Rathore for molesting a young girl, but doesn't prosecute him for raping the trust the common man had on the Indian civil
- Indian Police - Protectors or Perpetrators?
Life in India. Who is accountable?
- New Indian Visa Regulations Impact Tourists
This kind of haphazard and ham-handed approach to implementing new regulations does not help anyone.
- Contempt of Court and the Pakistan Army
In a country where every one including the top brass of the army and the opposition parties are tainted, a clean sweep will produce a
- Madhu Koda Finally Arrested
How can you otherwise justify that a person accused of such large crimes can remain free without the police and investigating agencies arresting him?
- Liberhan Committee Report on Ayodhya Demolition Leaks
The contents of the report appear to be getting glossed over and the alleged leak being given greater air time.
- India's 3G Saga - A Bad Bollywood Movie!
Ma Sonia, please get us out of this mess!!!!
- Surviving at the Margins: The Politics of Eviction and Resettlement in Delhi
What was to follow was a tragedy of immense proportions in post independent India that was ignored in the mainstream media.
- Why Aamir Khan Should Not Lobby for Kiran Bedi
The underlying tenet of democracy is transparency, not popularity contests in the name of inclusiveness and participation.
- Husband Killed by in-laws in Honor Killing
Wife manages to get free, and reveals the truth (otherwise, no story)
- Marital Breakdowns and Children - Fugitive NRI Woman & Child Detained
A woman, who is accused of parental kidnapping of her US Citizen child to India is detained by CBI as per directive of Supreme Court
- Should Prostitution Be Legalised?
All problems solved, legalise prostitution and we have a perfectly just and fair society. Is it so?
- Insufficient Courts in India
In India, the pendency of cases with the judicial system is a joke.
- Lest we Forget - Truth and Reconciliation in Kandhamal
Our Lord teaches us not to hate. We do not hate our enemies, but Fear is real, especially in Orissa’s Kandhamal district.
- Chief Justice of India Summons CJ of Karnataka
Serious charges of land grabbing and other "irregularities" levelled against P.D. Dinakaran, Chief Justice of Karnataka, Bangalore.
- Justice Served 25 Years Later in the 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case
Judgment 25 years after the crime
- Senator Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (1932 - 2009)
"The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die."
- Unfair Law Subjugates Shia Women in Afghanistan
How could a country have such a law if the Government of the country was dependent on foreign aid and foreign support?
- Mumbai Queer Azadi Pride 2009 - The Right to be Happy
"If it is Love, God wouldn't mind; there is enough Hate in this world"
- Taslima Nasreen Returns to India, Albeit Temporarily
Taslima Nasreen does not find it safe in India, nor does the Government really want her to be here in India.
- Why India Should Not Hang Ajmal Kasab
We will not allow Kasab to turn into a martyr! We will allow him time and the opportunity to change his ideology and reform, as
- Celebrity of the Year - Ajmal Amir Kasab
All thanks to our glorious Indian Judicial System and a babbling Media, Kasab has become nothing short of a famous figure.
- Allegations Against Omar Abdullah - Can Democracy Survive in Kashmir?
Democracy, that fragile curtain which separates us from millenia of barbarism, is most often beset by internal enemies.
- Continental Airlines Gets Notice for Frisking Abdul Kalam
This is one of the many flaws which makes way for other debauched malpractices like Corruption to seep into the system.
- Delhi Police Cleared in Batla House Terrorist Encounter
Politicians of different hues jumped on the case, given that it involved police vs. minority issues.
- Mis-Governance in India And The Death of Faith
One after the other news of people dying, human rights being violated, take a moment and mourn for all such deaths.
- Homosexuality is Not a Crime Anymore
India took 150 years to reverse a law that criminalized an activity which is now considered natural though different from the majority point of view.
- Judgement on IPC Section 377: Counterpoints
Liberals and gay organisations are using the wrong method to engage in a conversation with the rest of society.