375 articles in category
Page 2 of 13, Go to page: [Previous] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 [Next]
- Chief Justice of India Summons CJ of Karnataka
Serious charges of land grabbing and other "irregularities" levelled against P.D. Dinakaran, Chief Justice of Karnataka, Bangalore.
- Violence Inc. When Are We Shutting It Down In This Country?
The author, through a personal tale of childhood horror, describes the scars inflicted upon the psyche of children growing up in regions infested with Violence.
- Communist Parties in Disarray in India
Communists in India - conflict within, with the population, and losing support in their core base.
- Mayawati's Statue Fixation
She has made this a mini-industry, along with the gratuitous naming of parks, naming them primarily for Kanshi Ram and herself.
- Indian Government To Investigate Seats for Money Scam
There is slim chance that effort will be made to stop such practices from happening.
- Binayak Sen Is Released on Bail: Dada, Baritey Phirlen
Dr. Binayak Sen came back to his family today.
- Comparing NDA vs UPA Performance
Perhaps this is the right time to compare the performance of the two regimes.
- A Town called Ghosi
Ghosi remains a ghost town as night descends
- Naxalite Poet Lal Singh Dil: A Drawing and a Poem
Lal Singh says, 'Social injustice, physical torture and mental agony all motivate me to write'.
- Poetry: Remembering Papiya Ghosh
a sky masquerading a poem incised her mind and reason on third december two thousand and six.
- Book Review: Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile
If it were not for the unintended consequences, and if it were not all real, Charlie Wilson's War makes for a 'fun' read.
- Jagdish Tytler Given Clean Chit By CBI - Shameful!
This year is the 25th anniversary of the anti-Sikh pogrom and not a single killer has been brought to book so far.
- Whose God is Great? Another Carnage in Lahore
The killings go on. The blame game goes on. And more killings go on.
- India : 85th on Global Corruption Index
India's Central Vigilance Commission has taken umbrage at a recent report of Transparency International the global corruption tracking watch dog.
- Military-Industrial- And Congressional Complex
A suspicious world distrustful of others is the right environment to sell big ticket armaments to both sides.
- This is Not Cricket
If the ordinary citizen remains detached and uninvolved, then the march into disarray would continue unabated
- Fake Charities and Real Charities
There are fake charities out there which steal twice, once from your pocket involuntarily and once from other deserving causes
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women
- BBB Inc. - With Bare Hands If Necessary
This wall is an artificial construct that needs to be brought down - with bare hands if necessary - one brick at a time.
- Big-ticket Cases - CBI Under Government Influence?
This is not something that Governments shirk from doing.
- Nations Turn to Barter To Secure Food
Bartering is being used but is a hideous economic mechanism, filled with hidden pitfalls and costs
- Why Do Vice-Chancellors Fail At Aligarh Muslim University?
Why VC's dont work in AMU, some thoughts
- Will The Satyam Probe be Fair?
Links between the Andhra Government and the former Satyam chief
- Citizen Safety and Law Enforcement
Who am I? I live in your city and I am the girl next door.
- Bimaru States In India
The bimaru millstone states around India's neck
- Raj Thackeray Creeping Out
If I were Raj, I would ask every MNS member to offer their services to the GoI in some way
- Congo Connection - 3
General Laurent Nkunda says 'I want people like you with me who understand the heart of Congo'
- Congo Connection 2
Somewhere at a plush estate in Midrand, Johannesburg a deal of millions of dollars of armaments is being made. The gun sellers fuel the civil
- A Love For Shoes: This Has Nothing to Do With Iraq and Yet...
The scar above my left eyebrow, comes in handy when government directives ask one to mention scars on official applications.
- Congo Connection 1
Leopoldville, Congo after that
- Dr. Binayak Sen – A Poem
Dr Binayak Sen, arrested in May 2007 in Chattisgarh is currently in prison awaiting a trial that has been repeatedly delayed.
- Terrorism - What's Under The Surface?
Terrorism is only a symbol of the sort of world we live inUma Ranganathan
OPINION | Politics: India, Politics: Corruption, Media: Newspapers, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Relationships, Culture: Essay, Culture: Education, Culture: City Life, BizTech: Globalization, BizTech: Environment, BizTech: Development, BizTech: Consumers, Politics: War on Terror
- Why the NSG Should Not Protect Politicians
It is a natural principle of democracy that those that represent us have the same protections as the common man. No more, no less.
- Reacting to Terror - Time We Looked Inwards
If we have been unable to provide basic amenities to the citizens, how can we expect our governments to handle something as evil and complex
- Come Tuesday a Victory of Hope Over Rovesque Fear
President George Bush should be handed over to the ICT at the Hague for War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity.
- Supreme Court Orders Police Officer To Compensate The Victim
In the more advanced nations, powers given to the police are exercisedwith responsibility and they can be prosecuted for excesses.
- Why the Kid Glove Treatment for Raj Thackeray?
Congress refuses to crack down
- Bush Administration: Mercifully, the End Is Near For His Lies And Deception
Words will not mollify nor ameliorate the suffering and death that has been caused by the policies of the Bush Administration
- Pondicherry - The People Fight Back
Last week was a good one for democracy in Pondicherry.
- Cops, Drug Smugglers, and Picturesque Himachal
Alongside Goa, Rajasthan and Himachal are fast becoming major transit areas for movement of drugs within and outside India.
- Attacks on Churches and Christians in India - Violence in Mangalore
Why are atrocities against Christians being downplayed in the media?Kim
NEWS | Media: Journalism, Media: Events, Media: Citizen Media, Culture: Urban, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Religion, Culture: Crime, Culture: City Life, Media: News, Media: Newspapers, Politics: Religion, Politics: Peace, Politics: Laws, Politics: India, Politics: Governance, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Elections, Politics: Corruption, Media: Television, Culture: Bureaucracy
- The Nexus of Corruption: Reliance and Government
One of the common myths circulated in Indian mainstream media is about the inherent dynamism of the Private sector.
- India - Winter in August
May be it is time to get the sweaters out - it looks like it might be winter in August.
- Do You Know Filmmaker, Activist Ajay TG?
No? Neither did I until yesterday. There I was sitting at Juhu's Prithvi Theatre watching a compilation of...
- CPM Expels Speaker Somnath Chaterjee
A predictable reaction from CPM over the vote loss and consequent loss of influence
- Cash For Votes Allegations - No Surprises
I don’t see why people would be surprised about Horse-trading when we see murderers, rapists, arsonists and rioters as MLAs/MPs.
- UPA Wins Confidence Vote - Cash For Votes Allegations Scar House
The vote was expected to go closely in favour of the government,had the BJP not pulled a large green rabbit out of the proverbial hat.
- Dr. Rajesh Talwar - Still In Custody
Dr. Talwar is no hardened criminal – as police clients go, he would be among the softest they would have handled.
- Dangers of Exercising the Right to Information
Such measures to victimize a RTI applicant need to be condemned across the board.
- Keeping An Eye on Government Spending
Money is siphoned off through middle-men, local politicians, workers, and the entrenched mafia.
- Indian Prime Minister Calls for Austerity Measures
This is political posturing at its worst, instead of actual measures to reduce wastage and expenditure.
- The Builders' Banditry
Scarcely a day passes when some property dealer is not accused of some murder or extortion.
- Israeli PM Ehud Olmert Faces Storm in Corruption Scandal
This scandal has cast a cloud on the prospects of peace in the Middle East, and upon President Bush's recent trip to the region.
- Left Loses Panchayat Polls in Nandigram
Something that will be worrying for the Left
- Organ Donation - Harvesting Spare Parts
In organ donation, the main taboos seem to be social and religious.
- Cosmetic Changes in Islamabad
The parachuting of Washington's dream team means status quo remains unchanged in Islamabad.