63 articles in category
Page 1 of 3, Go to page: 1, 2, 3 [Next]
- The Children's Hedge Fund Experiment
The ongoing saga of my son's financial education, the next step involves him being a hedge fund manager
- A Debate Over Climate Change
Some future trajectories for the human race in terms of climate change
- CFO or CEO: Who Influences Earnings Management More?
Who has the most influence on earnings management of a firm? Some surprising results
- Positive Steps by SEBI - Anchor Investors, No Load Funds, & Lower Fees
SEBI Chairman C B Bhave continues his trend of investor-friendly actions by announcements today.
- Book Review: Starfishing by Nicola Monaghan
Nicola Monaghan is one hell of a story-teller, holding your suspense till the end.
- Shareholder's Dissatisfaction at Satyam's Board
Actions trying to benefit the promoters
- Wall Street - Cold, Flat, and Broke
Madam Defarge and the tumbrels were kept busy while heads rolled in the basket in a grisly fashion.
- The CFO-CIO Crossover, Part III
The future of the CIO and CFO relationship, some thoughts...
- Does Every Cloud Have a Sell Order Lining?
Weather, emotions and trading - the interesting links
- MTN Walks Out on Reliance Communications - Family Feud
Recent events might mean it is time for greater regulation of the fragmented conglomerate, if only to preserve Indian credibility in global markets.
- Reliance Communications - Go, India Go
Despite the likely hurdles in its path, I expect RCOM to reap the benefits from the aggressive strides that the company is looking to make.
- Hedge Funds vs. Charities
You will be better off asking a hedge fund to take care of your donation than a charity.
- Microsoft + Yahoo = Microhoo: Can it beat Google?
Four central ideas surround the acquisition of Yahoo by Microsoft. But can they dream of beating Google?
- Microsoft Bids For Yahoo! Will Google Go For Apple?
Microsoft will likely leverage the strengths Yahoo! has in messaging, media and music over search.
- Monetary Policy - Will the Reserve Bank of India Cut Rates?
The Fed has cut 75bps on 22/Jan, before the scheduled FOMC meet on 30/Jan. What will RBI do?
- GARCH Models, Fat Tails, & the Behavior of Financial Markets
How unlikely can an event be before you manage it?
- Indian Stock Markets Crash - Good Time to Invest
The Indian stock markets have fallen since beginning of 2008 and especially so on 21 and 22/Jan. Is it a good time to invest?
- Investing in 2008 - Indian Perspective
Turbulent times ahead - Understand, manage and win through the change.
- Evaluating the Reliance Power IPO
There has been a lot of hype and noise around the upcoming Reliance Power IPO but does it make sense to invest in it?
- Why Apple Should Change Its Strategy Towards Java
Java makes a lot of sense for Apple and Sun, but will Apple do it?
- What To Look For In A Stock - Investment Advice from Gurus
It is critical to follow basics while investing in stocks. Mathematical and financial wizardry can only take you so far!
- Indian Stock Markets Suspended As Market Crashes
The international investment community may get scared off India in particular and emerging markets in general by such a move.
- When the Sensex Betrayed Sachin
A small peek into the journey of the two Indian obsessions.
- Monetary Policy - What Will the RBI and the Fed Do?
Is October 31 the right time to cut interest rates?
- Chi-X - The New Sneaky European Exchange
It has been very sneaky, and has managed to attract trading away from the big boys.
- Global Markets Crash Amidst Tightening Credit Crunch
Where Wall Street goes, Main Street must follow, or is it the other way round?
- Nokia to Outsource Chip Development To Third Parties
It is indeed curious, how fast life is changing and our industrial landscape is getting modified.
- Infosys Acquires Philips' BPO Arm
The deal is pegged at $200 million.
- Book Review: Optimizing Corporate Portfolio Management by Anand Sanwal
Optimizing Corporate Portfolio Management by Anand Sanwal, is a useful book on resource allocation to drive corporate strategy.
- The Fundamentals of Exchange Traded Funds
Despite giving the highest returns last year and also being the least costly, Exchange Traded Funds are hardly known.
- The Fundamentals of Stocks
Stocks have the ability to give the best returns but the time and effort required is high too.
- The Fundamentals of Asset Allocation
Asset allocation is a smart and sexy word for something as drab and dreary as planning your personal finance.
- Picking Stocks in Real Estate
Baby steps to stock picking in Real Estate/Infrastructure
- Investment Options In India: Grow your Money
Stocks, Real Estate, Mutual Funds, ULIPs and ETFs – What's the best for you.
- Banks as Loan Sharks: Random Thoughts
This isn't the first case where private banks and credit card companies have sent thugs to recover dues.
- Cartoon: And The Future Is...
Orange turned Hutch turned Vodafone
- Biz/Tech Year-End Roundup
A look back on some of the interesting Biz/Tech posts of the year.
- Memo to Prannoy Roy: Wish We Heard More From Narayana Murthy
During the NDTV show there were moments when we had Prannoy Roy butting in with his one-liners.
- Medical Tourism in India: Is it a Good Idea?
An aggressive promotion of healthcare tourism, could price out the Indian middle-class from private healthcare facilities in their own country.
- Investing Gyaan: Indian Investment Habits
Time will tell if we play safe or are bold: there’s no gain without pain or no growth without risks.
- Investing Gyaan: Stocks
A brief overview about stocks and equities to help you invest wisely.
- Investing Gyaan: Financial Planning Steps
To be fair to my financial advisor, he helped me understand that one must take responsibility for oneself.
- WebSite Review: StockHive.com- Invest Rationally
Web 2.0 is not only about social networking, video or music. It is about money & investing too. Introducing StockHive.com
- Indian Stock Markets This Week: The Cloud of Confusion
Sports and stock markets - they never fail to surprise! How does the cloud of confusion get formed?
- Indian Stock Markets This Week: Renounce Sensex, Get High On Soccer
As in the past, this fall in the sensex came as a huge surprise and shock for investors. What next?
- My Investing Journey and the Dollar Cost Averaging Discipline
I cannot say I have been the best of learners but over the years I have invested with a certain discipline.
- Indian Stock Markets This Week: Crack & Crash
The much spoken and awaited yet unwanted fall in the Indian stock markets is here!
- Indian Stock Markets This Week: Up, Up & Down
Just as the much awaited rain in Bangalore happened, so did the awaited fall in the Sensex after going straight up eight to nine days
- Indian Stocks: Riding the Momentum This Week
My personal portfolio experiences with the spin of brains and the make and the break of hearts this week ending May 5th.
- Indian Stocks - Buy, Sell or Hold?
My personal portfolio experiences with the spin of brains and the make and the break of hearts every week.
- Dr Doom, the new Mr Fantastic, and the old Mr Fantastic
Like all good tales, the hero is not clear.
- The Mutual Fund Merry-go-round
To put it bluntly this is nothing but a scam.
- Google Finance Launches
Google Finance is a good attempt but lags behind Yahoo in lot of vital information on stocks.
- The Impending Market Crash of 2006
Why is the overvalued Indian stock market not correcting? The answer seems to be the Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs).