62 articles in category
Page 1 of 3, Go to page: 1, 2, 3 [Next]
- Do Politicians Deserve Pay Hikes?
I know these are very uncomfortable questions. But I expect no politician, however astute he may be should duck these questions and move on.
- What Really Matters
A few of my Desi roommates, friends and I were arguing over the hypocrisy of Desis living abroad.
- The Children's Hedge Fund Experiment
The ongoing saga of my son's financial education, the next step involves him being a hedge fund manager
- Bank Risks - Show Me The Money And Who Owns It
Bank risk taking varies positively with the comparative power of shareholders within the corporate governance structure of each bank.
- CFO or CEO: Who Influences Earnings Management More?
Who has the most influence on earnings management of a firm? Some surprising results
- Book Review: Complicit by Mark Gilbert
A conspiracy of greed among bankers, investors, rating agencies, and regulators has imperiled everyone's financial future.
- Free Countries and Lower Cost of Debt
The more the political rights, the more free the country, the lower are the costs of debt for firms.
- Financial Independence and Freedom for Men
Financial freedom can free you from rat race and transform the quality of life that you live.
- Nationalization of Indian Banks and the Financial Crisis
Stay away from centralization. Let there be diversity. That is what protects us.
- Will Manmohan Get An Economic Nobel?
We are happy this way; this Nobel is quite inconsistent with Eastern values
- Banks To Charge For ATM Access For Other Bank Customers
From October 15, a customer can take out a maximum of Rs 10,000 per withdrawal from ATMs not owned by the bank in which he
- Positive Steps by SEBI - Anchor Investors, No Load Funds, & Lower Fees
SEBI Chairman C B Bhave continues his trend of investor-friendly actions by announcements today.
- Amicable End To Producer-Multiplex Strike in Bollywood
Movies mean money and that should continue along with entertainment.
- PSU Divestment in India - The Rocky Path Ahead
When the Government does want to disinvest, for sectors of industry where the Government should have a zero role, it should get optimum return.
- FlyDubai, Dubai's First Low Cost Carrier Starts Operations
As I see it, business and holiday travelers without much luggage could find this airline cheaper than its competitors.
- Tech Mahindra Wins Satyam Bidding
Their first task will be to be restore confidence to the employees, customers, and shareholders.
- The Grand Bailout- Part 2
The Democrats in DC are lowering taxes while the Republicans in California are raising them
- The Grand Bailout
For an obese nation, eating humble pie may be the right diet for a healthy, wealthy life ahead
- California is Becoming the Pakistan of the USA
The financial challenges of managing a state like California
- Shareholder's Dissatisfaction at Satyam's Board
Actions trying to benefit the promoters
- Citibank - The New State Bank of America
Welcome to Citibank, the new State Bank of America.
- Swiss Bank Accounts
Ensure the demise of the poor and the few remaining rich can have the earth to themselves
- Bubbles and The Current Financial Crisis
Is there an end to the current financial bloodbath that is plaguing the world markets
- Wall Street - Cold, Flat, and Broke
Madam Defarge and the tumbrels were kept busy while heads rolled in the basket in a grisly fashion.
- The Fall of Capitalism
I am beginning to believe in a people's economy, aka black money.
- End of the Investment Bank Era on Wall Street?
The last two standing institutions get themselves declared 'proper' banks.
- Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley Reorganize to Bank Holding Companies
The Federal Reserve continued its tradition of Sunday surprises, by announcing that the last two major independent Wall Street investment...
- Book Review: The Ten Commandments for Business Failure
This slim book is eminently readable and works best if the nuggets are mapped to one's own perspective and experiences.
- The Website Ad Placement Heat Map
The proper placement of ads on web pages is very important
- Toll Gates Inside Cities - Are They Fair?
A take on toll gates being erected inside Chennai city on the IT corridor
- Philanthropy - Giving it All Away
Foreign contributions to scores of Indian voluntary organizations, religious groups and charitable institutions every year touch nearly Rs 5,000 crore.
- Attrition And New Recruits
Especially new joinees leave the firm, a little after the embryonic stage of their job career cycle.
- What Goes Wrong With MLM Companies?
What goes wrong with MLM companies, which on paper offer a novel concept to make everyone rich...
- Supreme Court Reiterates "No Goons For Collections"
Perhaps it had to be a team of women entrepreneurs who wouldn't think like men to be able to come up with a humane and
- Microfinance - Money, Money, Money
To really make a difference to those outside the normal banking channels, micro finance institutions need to innovate.
- Recovery Agent : Evolution of the Gentleman Goon
So are debt collectors going to be India’s latest export? It would seem to be so.
- Derivatives Losses in Indian Companies
This article attempts to provide a background on derivatives losses incurred by Indian Companies and the way forward.
- High Inflation, Slow Growth - What Will The Government/RBI Do?
WPI inflation made headlines at 6.68%. With a moderation in growth, what can the government/RBI do?
- Budget 2008-2009 – A Bird’s Eye View
Why do you want a ‘dream’ budget instead of a ‘working’ budget?
- Cultivating the Savings Habit in Children
Gives a set of suggestions, if implemented can bring in a habit of savings among youngsters
- Social Responsibility — Not Just Corporate Responsibility
Whether we should begin talking not just about corporate social responsibility but the common responsibility of the citizen.
- The Church in India & Health Care: Staying Relevant
If Christian institutions and churches earned recognition in the past, it was because they were relevant to their times.
- Desi Gigolos - Candy, Not Crème Brûlée
The hunters were mostly thirty-something urban women, hunting in packs.
- Monetary Policy - Will the Reserve Bank of India Cut Rates?
The Fed has cut 75bps on 22/Jan, before the scheduled FOMC meet on 30/Jan. What will RBI do?
- Indian Stock Markets Crash - Good Time to Invest
The Indian stock markets have fallen since beginning of 2008 and especially so on 21 and 22/Jan. Is it a good time to invest?
- Islamic Banking in Malaysia - Not Entirely Islamic
The only way around this problem would be to convert the entire world's financial system to Islamic Banking.
- Evaluating the Reliance Power IPO
There has been a lot of hype and noise around the upcoming Reliance Power IPO but does it make sense to invest in it?
- Goa's Politics and Kalidasa
No tourist should be seen in Goa post December 28th.
- Easy Credit, Instant Prosperity - No Magic Wands in Modern India
The time has come for policy makers and planners to provide India’s huge population with tatkal prosperity.
- Don't Look Back - Profiling David Bussau
What makes David Bussau different from other providers of micro credit ?
- Individual Credit Scoring Models - Right Start But Much More To Do
The Credit Information Bureau of India has launched individual credit scoring models. Is it adequate and would it be successful?
- New Private Sector Banks - Potential Trouble Ahead?
New Private Sector Banks' numbers based on RBI's report on trend and progress of banking in India are not comforting
- Consumer Court Grants Protection to Company Fixed Deposit Holders
The company cannot claim to be sick and take the investors' money.
- Philanthropists Wanted
As some one associated with the NGO sector, chasing funds is one of my responsibilities.
- Bollywood beats Hollywood - Om Shanti Om, Saawariya vs. Lions for Lambs
One swallow does not make a summer.
- ICICI Bank Penalized For Violence By Collection Agents
ICIC bank penalized for employing thugs for repossession of a vehicle.
- Improving the US Capital Markets
The current capital markets structure where different regulators look after different bits of financial sectors is no longer appropriate.