264 articles in category
Page 1 of 9, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 [Next]
- Rahul Gandhi Takes a Left Turn
What is curious and perhaps dangerous for India, is the garb that Mr. Gandhi decided to wear as the protector of the poor.
- Is India Still Socialist?
This implies that a certain vision that animated the use of the word socialism is bankrupt merely because of 20 years of reforms.
- Gujarat Experiment
Gujarat continues to experiment; it experimented in dairy sector, labour force and freebies. Now it has embarked on an experiment in voting.
- As Are The Subjects, So is the King
A ruler need not fear non-participative public
- When The Right is Wronged
When people who matter do not vote, polled votes do not matter either.
- When will Election Debates Matter in India?
Election debates can help create a level playing field in the flawed Democratic setup in India
- Mamta Banerjee Facing Dissent Within Her Own Party
One of her more popular MP's, Kabir Suman, is turning out to be more maverick than Mamta
- Counterpoint: Why Women's Reservation is a (Unreservedly) Good Idea
Women's reservation has been a long-time coming. This bill may not be the best or only solution to empowering women. But let not the perfect
- Women’s Reservation Bill: Lottery System to Replace Democracy in India
30% of male MPs of Congress, BJP and CPM resigning for a women only bi-election?!!
- Senile Sena Ails Maharashtra
If the assembly elections last year were anything to go by, the Shiv Sena's decline, along with the aging of Bal Thackeray looks more inevitable
- Women’s Reservation Bill: Denying Citizens Rights to Contest in Elections
Men will lose their choice to contest in elections and democracy will be crippled, if the constitution is amended.
- Politics - Going Rogue
Is it the wrong kind of people who go into politics and then perpetrate the hideous culture that has become the hallmark of politics across
- Satire: The MNS - Mentally N-ill Sena
We don't care what happens to non-Marathis assaulted in Australia, but while in Maharashtra's capital,you better be talking in Marathi.
- Hooliganism in Maharashtra Assembly - Whither Democracy?
Democracy, that fragile and complex idea, is at once an ideal state and equally an expression of social opinion.
- Ministries Dispute Delays Formation of Maharashtra Government
Each party in the Congress-NCP combine wants the power and influence peddling ministries
- Maharashtra Elections: Final Forecast
The Congress-NCP regime is highly likely to return to power albeit in alliance with other parties.
- BJP At The Crossroads
With no clearly defined ideology in place and a buch of leaders with fat egos, the BJP as a party now stands at the crossroads.
- The Congress Party and Cellular Phones
The Congress won on the back of phenomenal economic growth during the period 2004 to 2009
- Iran - People Getting Killed in Prisons
It is the action of this force in the prisons that has become very controversial in the last few days
- Kashmir Governor Rejects Abdullah's Resignation
Expected to happen, but lends some benefits to Omar
- Communist Parties in Disarray in India
Communists in India - conflict within, with the population, and losing support in their core base.
- Sarah Palin Resigns: Aims to Run for President in 2012
fours years can take an enormous toll on a candidate
- Internal Turmoil Troubles BJP Post-Elections
If the BJP wants to come back to being taken as a serious contender for power, it needs to focus more on being an inclusive
- India's Nepal Policy Needs an Urgent Course Correction
India doesn't seem to care whether democracy and parliamentary supremacy are established in Nepal
- Comparing NDA vs UPA Performance
Perhaps this is the right time to compare the performance of the two regimes.
- A Town called Ghosi
Ghosi remains a ghost town as night descends
- Election is Over: Time to Get Down to Work
India's workforce is just starting to peak, and the world is facing a huge economic downturn foisted on it by greed.
- Election Result Coverage: 10 Hours of Relentless Viewing
Everyone seems ready to applaud and bid a warm farewell to L.K.Advani. This is utter crap.
- You Read It Here First: Five Truths About This Election
Don't watch National TV for election analysis, they have no clue what they are saying
- Elections in India, 2009: Vote for Moderation and Maturity?
This is the victory of moderation, maturity, progress, erudition and harmony.
- India: Congress Roars Back
Congress rides high: BJP suffers setback
- Regional Parties and Coalition Politics
National parties have to balance nationalism with regionalism and create structures that allow for proper regional and group representation.
- Exit Polls, Elections, and Media Frenzy
The media watchdogs are off the leash, and have a month's worth of psephology, pie charts, and debate to make up for.
- Indian Elections - The Final Predictions
The recently concluded Indian parliamentary elections have been like the proverbial Indian Railways train.
- Congress Striking Deals with Smaller Political Parties For Power
The Congress is running into far more problems with respect to its alliance, especially as it publicly pitches for more allies post-results.
- US-Pakistan-Afghanistan Summit: To Disrupt, Dismantle, and Defeat Al Qaeda
Whoever has a better idea would win the battle.
- Bharat Punarnirman Dal: Getting Into Serious Politics
Some IIT/IIM alumni and professionals seems to have no fears in getting into dirty waters of Indian politics.
- Afghanistan's Shia Marriage Law - A Cleric's Justification and Other Issues
Forcing Afghanistan to adopt western standards may prove to be costly
- Poetry: Why the Elephant Was Not Chosen the King
I repeat owl's words, as I loudly sing / The raga of how or why elephant was not chosen the king.
- India Elections: UPA Disintegration Underway
Most trusted ally Laloo speaking out against the Congress
- Prime Minsterial Candidates - Nomination is the Norm
The war of words between Dr Manmohan Singh and L K Advani has taken an ugly turn.
- Varun Gandhi Released on Parole, Under Judicial Scrutiny
His campaign will have a strained air and be under close scrutiny.
- Indian Elections 2009 Get Underway
Naxals struck at polling booths in Bihar, Jharkand, and Chattisgarh, killing at least eleven people.
- Indian Elections 2009: The Final Forecast
To summarize, the UPA alliance is well positioned to form a Government in 2009.
- Democracy on Trial in Thailand
The Thai middle-class doesn't want to share power with the poor!
- Are Meera Sanyal and Captain Gopinath Doing the Right Thing?
How much of a difference can an independent M.P make?
- India Goes to Vote
One of the aspects of the digitized elections that we are seeing is the increasing relevance of technology and media.
- Indian Elections - My Money is on XXX, Part 2
Why do almost all Indian parties have three-letter acronyms
- Indian Elections - My Money is on XXX, Part 1
This is an attempt at doing something I have not done before, at least in written form : predict the outcome of an event, a
- Mis-representation with Post-Poll Alliances
The Indian political scene is in a state of disarray with the formation of multiple coalitions & the prospects of a hung parliament looming large.
- Breaking News: Justice Dept. Drops Charges Against Sen. Ted Stevens
"It is unfortunate that an election was affected by proceedings now recognized as unfair."
- The Party Manifesto - Promising Milk and Honey
Political party manifestos will never be great literature but they can be great works of fantasy.
- Mayawati: Is She Really Destined for a Larger Role in Indian Politics?
Mayawati's BSP can at best hope to be regional player and cannot expand too much beyond UP.
- Why Do Political Dynasties Flourish?
Why do political dynasties exist? How are they different in India from the ones in the US?
- This is Not Cricket
If the ordinary citizen remains detached and uninvolved, then the march into disarray would continue unabated
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women